Using Visual Studio Team Services is a great joy. It is a seamless experience when on Windows, but does require one extra step when using it from a Mac. As is the case when using VSTS from XCode (see http://blog.clauskonrad.net/2016/03/using-visual-studio-team-services-git.html) you also here need to establish an alternative representation of yourself that can work as authentication.
Here is how to use the SourceTree application on a Mac against VSTS:
- Log into VSTS (website)
- Select your name (top right)
- Select My Profile
- Select Security
- Select Add
- Copy the generated Token (it will show only once) into a text file on disk
- Open SourceTree
- Press Repositories
- Select Clone from Url
- Enter the SourceControl Endpoint (https://<nameofcollection>.visualstudio.com)
- When prompted for Username/password – enter the Token instead of your username
- Enter your normal password
- You are in!