For a very long time, I’ve lived with the fact that I was unable to perform search in any list in FIM 2010. This is pretty annoying to say the least, when you are joggling around in FIM all the time. Initially, I thought this was a setting in FIM somewhere that did not allow me to perform searches, but the reason proved to be somewhere completely different.
The reason was a completely empty full-text catalog in the FIM Portal database (SQL Server). FIM hands of the search task to the underlying database, hence if this catalog is empty – you get no results back (quite reasonable, now that you know it!).
So - what do do?
The solution is to create a new full-text catalog in SQL-server and to include the correct tables into that catalog.
1) Delete any existing catalogs from the database
2) Create a new full-text catalog (case insensitive)
3) Include these tables in the catalog:
4) Check the columns to include from each table (see above)
5) Set the population schedule to have an updated index at all times
6) Let the catalog build process take it’s time (it takes a long time!)
7) Voila! – you can search in FIM again.
Note: You might also have an issue (Full Text Deamon failed to start) with the fulltext deamon on the SQL Server (I did!). To remedy this problem, you need to execute these 2 stored procedures and next rebuild the catalog.